Monday, June 14, 2010

Long time gone

I haven't written here for a long time. Hope someone is out there reading, in spite of the absence.

I was in Ireland for 10 days and then had a colonostomy (which doesn't look right, but my spell check gives no real options for) and then went to Baltimore to visit grandchildren.

So I haven't been sitting around avoiding writing this stuff--I just haven't had the time or access to my computer.

(I have a new computer. My friend who helped me pick it out asked me if I wanted a laptop.

"No", I said.

"But you could carry it around," he said, "why don't you want one."

"Because I could carry it around," I told him.

I get really annoyed with people who always have their computer with them. Like sitting on the floor in airports plugged into the one outlet on the wall beneath the window. I think people should spend their time in airports reflecting on their mortality, reading trashy novels and watching other people, wondering if they'll be your seatmate. I also avoid any coffee shop that encourages the use of laptops. Jesus, eat a pastry or read a paper! I was even on the plane, sitting near a guy who still had his laptop on as we were taxiing to the runway, in spite of all the warnings. I was about the attack him like a shoe bomber when a cabin steward scolded him--at least as much as any Aer Lingus employee can scold anyone. The Irish are, actually, rather irrepressibly polite.

So I don't want a computer I can carry around. I prefer to be tethered to it, limited to a certain room for computer use, just as we have certain rooms for expelling bodily wastes.

I do have a wireless keyboard. My friend told me I could hold it on my lap if I wanted to--which I would never do and promised him I wouldn't.

I've been gone so long the page for writing this blog looks different than it did a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to post this so I can see if it still works, but I'll be back to write about various other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.