Monday, May 2, 2011

Ding Dong, the Witch is dead....

I've spent much of my day--as I'm sure you have--hearing more and more details about the death of Osama bin Laden.

Like most sane people, I figure the world is better off without him in it.

And I do understand the joy and relief people feel who lost loved ones in 9/11 and other terrorist attacks.

And I am proud to be defended by such warriors as Navy Seals. God bless them.

And, I must say, I am proud and glad that President Obama is showing up so decisive and thoughtful and masterful in the whole thing. I love the President and am thankful for anything that shows him off as the remarkable man and leader he is.

And, in spite of all that, I harbor deep reservations about a policy that can only be seen as state sponsored assassination (a more politically correct word for 'murder').

What I hear, listening most of the day, is that the mission was not to apprehend or capture...but to kill Osama.

I well know Osama alive would be more trouble, much more trouble than him dead. I well know he couldn't ever be prosecuted in a court in the US with anywhere near a 'fair trial' much less a jury of his 'peers'.

Yet, it troubles me. It just does.

I'm just a purist about the limits on the government. I know, believe me, I know, most people consider him a enemy combatant.

But it gives me pause that we simply went to kill him. It just does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.