Saturday, October 19, 2013

Lazy Day

OK, so I had all these plans for today. I was going to the hospital to see someone (but realized it would be better to do it tomorrow) and I was going to a movie (but our Puli dog, Bela, was having some diarrhea last night, waking Bern up twice and she took him out while I slept through it all and Bern had stuff to do so I didn't want to leave him) and I was going to the YMCA to walk on the treadmill (but Bern was out and I had a book I was reading and though I could have read it while I was walking on the treadmill, well, it just made more sense to read it at home).

So, I had what had seemed like a busy day but turned out to be a lazy day.

Not unlike many days I have as a retired person. I end up reading at least 5 novels a week these days (some of them walking the treadmill, some standing on the back porch or at a table in the kitchen or sitting in the dining room--I try to stand up rather than sit--or laying down on my bed). I love being retired and having more lazy days than not.

Sunday is never a lazy day since I have church to do. And Tuesday I go to my clergy group in the morning. And most Wednesdays I go to Higganum to talk to Bea about the Cluster I serve (very part time) and meet with some folks or visit someone. And these days I go on Thursday night to the book group at St. James where we're reading some of the chapters of something I've been writing. And on Fridays, at least for the next month, I'm teaching a class at UConn in Waterbury on the 'so called' Gnostic Christians. But every Monday is a lazy day and most Saturdays and none of the stuff above takes more than an hour or two.

I told someone the other day that if I knew how good I'd be at being retired I'd have done it decades ago.

Of course, decades ago I wouldn't have the Church Pension Fund sending me only a bit less than I earned working full time each month, or have Social Security or Medicare and the additional insurance coverage I have from, again, the Church Pension Fund. (No one, I suppose, becomes an Episcopal priest because of the Church Pension Fund--but it wouldn't be a bad strategy....)

Retired priests used to tell me they were better off than when they were working and I didn't believe them. But, the truth is, I made more money last year than I ever did working full time and I only do things I want to do (the Cluster ministry, teaching at Olli at UConn, doing Making a Difference workshops several times a year and having lots of Lazy days when I read almost all day and eat food I love and drink a little wine).

How good is that?

Sometimes I am startled that I'm 66 years old, have been married 43 years, have two children in their late 30's and three granddaughters. How could that be? I'm only just starting out. I feel 35 (except for the joint pain!) so how am I suddenly old?

Well, age has it's advantages--like lots of lazy days and doing only what you 'want' to do and not worrying about 'not being busy'--what a blessing that is!!!!

In five more years, I'll feel free to say whatever I'm thinking no matter what the occasion. I'm not quite there yet, but I look forward to being constantly inappropriate and when someone questions me about it I'll just say, "I'm old. Get used to it."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.