Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sweater day, at last

You could have on Wednesday, but it still was a tad warm in the afternoon. But today was The Day--the first of the year SWEATER DAYS in New England. The temperature barely got about 50, so you could (and I did) wore a sweater from wake up to beddy-bye....(Which I haven't done yet, obviously, since I'm writing this and it's 9:50 p.m. no matter what time my blog says it is. My blog is obviously in a much different time zone than I am....)

One of the things I love most about Connecticut (besides the paucity of tornadoes, the total lack of sandstorms, the number of Democrats and having four seasons) is Autumn's Sweater Days....

I love to wear sweaters. At last count I had 5 pairs of pants that I wear (2 Khaki, 2 jeans and 1 funeral blue) but I have a dozen sweaters, 7 of which are various shades of blue. I love sweaters and buy them a size too large because besides loving sweaters, I especially love baggy sweaters. Most of mine are cotton because wool makes my eyes itch, but they are bulky and baggy and mostly blue. I like the feel of them, the bulk of them and, yes, the blueness of them.

One of the things that 'prove you a New Englander if...' (a take off of "You know you're a Red Neck if...") is this: "You know you're a New Englander if you wear a sweater with Bermuda shorts several weeks a year...."

In spite of all the arguments to the contrary (and there are many, beginning with my accent and ending with I've never been to Maine) that makes me a New England kind of guy. Many days in Autumn and Spring, I wear shorts and a sweater.

I also love to wear bulky, baggy cotton socks--mostly blue. But socks are for Winter. I wear sandals from the last frost of spring until the first snow of the year. I simply love wearing sandals. Maybe it is the closest I can get to being bare-foot in mixed company. Another thing that mitigates against my being a true resident of New England is that I'd rather be bare-footed if only I could.

So, many days in the next month, I'll have on a sweater, shorts and sandals.

The reason I can't wear shoes without socks is that the socks I buy are so thick and bulky that I have to have shoes a size too large and if I try to wear them without socks they tend to flop off and make me fall.

But sweaters, that's the ticket. Maybe because my DNA (which I had tested by 23andme) revealed that I have more Neanderthal DNA that 87.5% of the population, so maybe the love of sweaters is remembering the sweater like hair of my long ago relatives. Who know? But I love the sweater days....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.