Sunday, January 5, 2014

"Naming Storms" update

I should have known not to admit I couldn't think of a name beginning with F, K or X in the Bible or X or Z from Shakespeare.

I go to this clericus group every Tuesday that has three regular members: Charles, Bill and Fred--who I believe in my heart of hearts between them know "everything" or can at least find 'everything' out.

So I got two emails from Charles that answered my dilemma and proved my point that these three guys absolutely KNOW EVERYTHING. I'll copy them here if I know how.

You write:
"Can you think of a name beginning with F or K or X in the Bible? I'm at a loss."

In the bok of Esther, some translations give Xerxes instead of
Ahaseurus. The Contemporary English Version has:

1-2 King Xerxesa]" style="font-size: 0.65em; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top;"[a] of Persia lived in his capital city of Susab]" style="font-size: 0.65em; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top;"[b]and ruled one hundred twenty-seven provinces from India to Ethiopia.c]" style="font-size: 0.65em; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top;"[c] During the third year of his rule, Xerxes gave a big dinner for all his officials and officers. The governors and leaders of the provinces were also invited, and even the commanders of the Persian and Median armies came. For one hundred eighty days he showed off his wealth and spent a lot of money to impress his guests with the greatness of his kingdom.

For F, consider Felix [Acts 24]

For K, what about Kadmiel? [Ezra 3:9}

Charles
 
 
(aside from 'bok' and whatever the hell that stuff is after Xerxesa, pretty good. but he's not finished....)
 
 
You have spurred me on to further research on names. If you are allowing
Yorick in your list of Shakespearian names because his name is mentioned,
then you can also use Xanthippe, as her name appears in Taming of the Shrew,
Act 1, scene 2:

Signior Hortensio, ’twixt such friends as we
Few words suffice. And therefore, if thou know
One rich enough to be Petruchio’s wife,
As wealth is burden of my wooing dance,
Be she as foul as was Florentius' love,
As old as Sibyl and as curst and shrewd
As Socrates' Xanthippe, or a worse,
She moves me not, or not removes at least
Affection’s edge in me, were she as rough
As are the swelling Adriatic seas.
I come to wive it wealthily in Padua;
If wealthily, then happily in Padua.

Not only that, but the Folio edition of Shakespeare spells it Zentippe.

I am also told that the name Zenelophon shows up in Love's Labors Lost and two other Shakespeare plays:
 
I'm sure Bill and Fred will tell me day after tomorrow they came up with answers too.....
 
Just for your edification....
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.