Thursday, March 20, 2014

Beyond priceless....

I don't do 'children's sermons' any more. The last one I did I wrapped a present which had a mirror in the bottom of the box. The sermon was about the best Christmas gift and the kid was supposed to say "that's me!" Instead, he said, "it's just a dumb mirror".

Before that, in an Easter Children's Sermon I held up an Easter egg and asked what someone could tell me about it and Courtney White, now a Med student at George Washington University, said "boiled eggs smell like poop". So much for children's sermons. But this is the best reason I ever heard not to give them.


What is Resurrection?
While the priest was presenting a children's sermon, he asked the children if they knew what the Resurrection was.


Now, asking questions during children's sermons is crucial, but at the same time, asking children questions in front of a congregation can also be very dangerous.  In response to the question, a little boy raised his hand.


The priest called on him and the boy said, "I know that if you have a resurrection that lasts more than four hours you are supposed to call the doctor."

It took ten minutes for the congregation to settle down enough for the service to continue.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.