It snowed last night. Only the second snow of the year in Connecticut, for God's sake, and it's already well into January.
One thing I've noticed (two things actually) is that Bela, our Puli dog, loves to eat snow and more often than not, it makes him throw up--cold on warm, who knows why...but the evidence is there.
The other thing I've noticed is that Bela will never, in his Puli brain, make the connection between "eat snow...throw up" and stop eating snow.
That makes me different from my Puli. Human beings make the connections between actions and results.
Except, oh my!, Republicans in the House have passed repeals of the Affordable Care Act about 80 times now and it hasn't been repealed.
And, oh my!, we as a nation keep getting involved in wars in the Middle East though none of them end well.
And, oh my!, we in the Western Hemisphere keep thinking, against all evidence to the contrary, that if we're only patient enough everyone will decide to just get along.
And, oh my!, we keep imagining that if we only give rich people tax cuts and other benefits, all that wealth will 'trickle down' to the rest of us.
A friend of mine says the difference between rats and human beings is that if you stop putting cheese down one of the avenues of a rat's maze, the rats will stop going there. But human beings will keep doing the same things over and again, expecting the cheese to be there and things to turn out differently if we only do it one more time.
So, in the end, I eat the snow and throw up and don't get the connection. We all do, I think.
- ► 2017 (248)
- ► 2016 (291)
- Doing my sums--Anthony and Ron
- how things go....
- The Blizzard came...sort of....
- Waiting for The Blizzard
- my weather junkie....
- Oh, my Lord, it's getting better and better...
- Last two chapters of the Igloo Factory
- Posting the Igloo Factory
- The joy of cabbage stalk
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Eleven
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Eight, nine and ten
- The itch you can't scratch...
- On my way to Killingworth this morning...
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Seven
- A confession I regret already
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Six
- The three worst jokes I know (and wish I didn't)
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Five
- Igloo Factory--Chapter Four
- "Body Pain" and a name I can't remember
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Three
- Igloo Factory--Chapter Two
- The Igloo Factory
- Red Eye?
- How I'm different from the Puli
- Je suis Charlie
- I look at pictures....
- So cold the moon
- OK, I've had it with the NYPD
- Another unpreached sermon
- Home again
- ▼ January (33)
- ► 2014 (346)
- ► 2013 (262)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (136)
- ► 2010 (204)