Friday, May 29, 2015

A big ponder

First of all, let me apologize for yesterday's post. I was feeling old. Sorry.

Today I saw Tomorrowland and I'm 38 again, so don't worry.

Lots of reviewers hated it, but I loved it--just the kind of optimistic, hopeful, glass half full kind of stuff that my 38 year old self (in my heart and mind) loves.

Anyway, in the movie, George Clooney asks Brit Robertson (who along with Raffey Cassidy are remarkable, remarkable--never saw a movie with two young women--a teen and an adolescent, were so amazing) "If I could tell you," George (Frank in the movie) asks Brit (Cassy in the movie) "the moment you were going to die, would you want to know?"

It's a brilliant exchange in the movie, but I came away with the question haunting me.

Take a moment (or an afternoon!) and ponder that question.

If someone could tell you the moment you would die, would you want to know?

There's a rational side that says, 'yes', so you could be prepared and 'get things in order' and look bravely into that good night.

But there is an emotional side that says, 'no', because you would be haunted by the knowledge and be counting down the years, months, weeks, days, hours and not paying attention to the 'now'.

It is a fascinating question.

Something to ponder long and hard and look at all the sides and corners of.

That's what I think I'm going to do. I'll let you know in a few days what I decided.

I'd recommend you ponder the question as well. Peel away the skins of the onion of the question and see what all you discover.

Shalom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.