Saturday, October 24, 2015

The 'collar' and 'cross' thing

Since I brought it up in my post about Aunt Elise, I might as well deal with it tonight.

I'm lost in linear time, so I can't tell you accurately when I stopped wearing clerical collars and crosses. But it's been a decade or more.

I wore a cross for decades, under my clothes. I didn't want it to be a public thing--it was between me and God. And for a good while, I wore a cross on Sundays with my 'priest' outfit.

I stopped wearing a collar first. Still a cross under my shirt, out of sight. I never liked collars because I have a short neck and the wrap-around Anglican collars were uncomfortable. Much of the time I would wear a black shirt without a collar. People pointed that out to me. "You don't have on a collar," they would say. And I would point out I had on a black shirt.

It was most likely around 2000 that I stopped wearing even a black shirt.

One thing about a clerical collar--in public places, it causes unnatural silence. Walk into a bar with a clerical collar on and all life pauses, ceases and falls into silence.

It's a conversation stopper in most places outside of church.

I stopped because I didn't like a collar and I was tired of wearing black shirts.

Nothing more, nothing less.

And several years after I stopped wearing a collar, I met a parishioner in a grocery store and she said, "I've never seen you without a collar." Then I knew that people who needed to see one would see one whether I had one on or not. Amen.

The cross thing is more theological. At some point, after I stopped wearing a collar, I asked myself why I still had a cross under my clothes.

And I had no answer. I didn't need a 'secrete cross' to be connected to God and I didn't want a 'public cross' to proclaim the un-proclaimable.

So the cross came off and I stopped wearing one over my robe on Sundays.

I simply didn't need it. I've always been against 'uniforms'. So, I took mine off.

I'm a Priest without a collar. I'm a Christian without a cross.

Extraneous is the word I'd use. I'm just shedding the extraneous stuff of my faith. And I've shed a lot of the nonsense the church 'made up' in the form of doctrine and dogma as well. I've got this 'following Jesus" down to a handful of beliefs. It hurts my heart to say the Nicene Creed these days because so much of the is extraneous...like a collar and a cross. Two of the three churches have picked up on this and we say a canticle or psalm instead of the Creed most of the time.

The older I get, the less I need to 'believe'.

I believe God loves me.

I believe I am created in the image and likeness of God.

I believe we must welcome the stranger.

I believe we must love one another as God loves us.

I believe we must serve those in need.

Beyond that, I have nothing else I need to believe. Just as I don't need a collar or a cross to be a  priest of God.

Just that. Nothing else. I have no argument with those who wear collars or crosses. God bless them.

I just stand where I stand. Nothing more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.