Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Not since I was 20

This morning I filled my car up with gas for 99 cents a gallon (when did they take the 'cents' symbol off the keyboard? I looked and looked.)

I'm not sure when the last time I did that was. A long time ago. I remember when gas was 37 cents (need that symbol!) at my Uncle Del's Esso station when Exxon was still Esso.

So, I used my Stop and Shop card and got 90@ (pretend that's the 'cents' symbol) a gallon off. But still, just seeing the pump read less than a dollar was like being in a time warp.

I don't understand economics at all. I don't get what makes gas so cheap these days when it was over $3 (still a dollar symbol, thank the Lord!) just a summer or so ago. And I don't understand the remarkable damage low gas prices are doing to the fuel industry--though I hear it's significant.

All I know is filling up my tank today made me feel like a teenager, standing at Uncle Del's Esso station, filling up my father's Ford.

What a trip that was!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.