Cheshire, Connecticut is a very civilized place.
Neighbors wave and talk to each other across fences.
People let you out in traffic (traffic and garden supplies are two constants in Cheshire).
Even total strangers smile and say hello in the stores.
A very civilized place.
But extreme heat and cold break down the social contract in entirely different ways.
When it's cold and snowy everyone keeps sidewalks clear but (and a big 'but') people don't pick up their dogs' poop! Along the snowy canal where many walk pets, there's poop everywhere....
Heat and Humidity, like the last few days, seems to keep people from putting grocery carts in the spots reserved for them. On normal days it's what people in Cheshire do--roll their carts to the place designated and even keep the small carts and large carts separated!
But when it's 92 with 80% humidity. the normally civilized people of Cheshire dump their groceries in the car and leave the carts right there, making the job of those who collect them and take them back in Big Y or Stop and Shop a nightmare.
Extremes are hard on the social contract we've come to expect here in 'the Shire'....
- ► 2021 (222)
- ► 2020 (335)
- ► 2019 (312)
- ► 2018 (248)
- ► 2017 (248)
- 1970 in review (one event a month)
- Gene Wilder, please rest in peace
- Ready to have it over....
- weird dreams
- I'll never drive to NYC again
- Something to spend some time on....
- First post
- first time in all these years....
- Going to see Ellie
- Something Bela won't eat...and First Cousins....
- I don't tweet
- 6 years later
- Rules vs. Healing
- dimples, who can resist them?
- Just when....
- Blessed beyond believing
- Home at last...
- Home tomorrow, maybe
- My boy's birthday
- 400th post one more time
- Heat, cold and the social order of Cheshire
- 8/11/16--Happy Natal Day, Ellie
- my favorite button
- Good times
- Waiting still...
- Speaking of priesthood....
- From paper to possibility
- The Readings for tomorrow
- White Trash
- OK, OK...
- Just wondering about conversation
- Back home...
- The mind of a Puli
- Waiting for Ellie
- ▼ August (34)
- ► 2015 (341)
- ► 2014 (346)
- ► 2013 (262)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (136)
- ► 2010 (204)