Sunday, August 19, 2018

knees

It will soon be two years ago when, coming down our back stairs on the way to vacation that I missed a step and ruptured the ligaments in my right knee. That leg was immobilized for over two months and I did 5 months of rehab. And in that time, favored my left leg enough to really activate the arthritis already there.

I was walking with a cane until Bern brought home some Copper fit knee sleeves from an "As Seen on TV" shelf in Rite Aid. Whether they really work or a a placebo doesn't matter to me. I walk well with them.

But every time I stand up from sitting, there is a moment where I wait to see if my knees are working or not.

Knees, like all joints, are things we just take for granted until we can't.....

I'm sure some of you have joint issues too, so you know what I'm talking about.

For nearly 7 decades I never gave me knees a thought. Now I do, every time I stand up.

They seldom hurt, thank goodness, but not trusting their stability gives me a lot to think about--like in just a moment when I post this and stand up from my chair.

I'm pretty sure they'll work.

But not totally sure.

Always an adventure.

Ponder for me the wonder of knees, ankles, wrists, neck, elbows, shoulders, hips--JOINTS are a wonder of our biology and evolution. Thank God for joints!

Be thankful for those who work without notice....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.