Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Abide with me

Today is the feast of St. Bernard, Abbot of Clairvaux (1153) and the gospel is this:

John 15:7-11
7If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. 9As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. 10If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.
"Abide" was a word often used in Appalachia when I grew up there.
You'd be walking down the street and people up on their porch would say, "Jimmy, come up and 'bide a spell." And I would.
Often there was no conversation at all, just 'abiding', being with, being close to.
And I think that's what Jesus is talking about in John 15--just 'being with him', without agenda or purpose. Just 'biding a spell'.
Just that.
And it is enough.
Enough and more than enough.
Abiding is enough and more than enough.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.