Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Body and soul--one or seperable? I don't care.

I stayed up to 1 a.m. last night, watching the Yankees sweep the Twins and was so hyped up by their win I didn't get to sleep until after 2. So, I didn't get to my Tuesday morning group in time for Eucharist (and no one offered it to me, I noticed!). When they asked me why I was late, I told the story about the Yankees and we talked about baseball for 15 minutes or so. One of the group, who I love dearly, had no clue about the baseball playoffs, which shocked me beyond measure.

I once had a conversation about church politics with a guy who had served with me as a seminarian for two years. He was much more conservative than I'd imagined and asked him why he hadn't told me before.

"Jim, you are so sure everyone agrees with you," he said, "it would do no good to disagree."

I suppose that is true. Driving down Cornwall Avenue this morning I noticed that most of the signs for the local elections next month, were for Republicans. I was shocked! My neighbors MUST  be Democrats, right?

Apparently not.

Anyway, after talking about baseball, someone changed the subject to whether the soul is independent of the body or not.

Folks got very involved in the conversation and started throwing around Phoenicians and Pharisees vs. Sadducee's and Indo-European and Jung and Freud.

I said, "this is a long way from baseball", and everyone laughed and agreed.

What I should have said is this: "I don't care if you have a soul independent of your human life or not. I care about you and you and you and you--but not your soul. I leave stuff like that up to God. It simply doesn't interest me."

Which is the truth.

The whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I don't think about such things--I think about the people I am around.

Just that.

So be it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.