Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Bern and the kitchen sink

Our kitchen is still not done. It's 8 days and counting, We have no kitchen sink and you don't know what it means until there isn't one.

Screw the kitchen sink--Bern had a biopsy on a cyst on her pancreas a week ago Monday,. The results came back late yesterday afternoon.

Completely clear!!!

MRI's every six months for a while, but no need to do anything else.

We don't need any other Christmas presents....

I can live for a long time without a kitchen sink--though it annoys me greatly.

I'm not sure how I could live without Bern.

She does so much.
    
My contributions to our common life is that I take out the trash and recycle stuff, I keep the litter box clean (most of the time), I cook quite a bit and I do my own laundry. Everything else, Bern does: the finances, cleaning the house, cooking when I don't, changing the beds, washing towels and sheets, talking care of everything outside--the yard and all--choosing the kitchen sink that isn't here next.

Oh, I do handle taxes, but she saves the receipts and checks and all that I need.

I haven't written more than half a dozen checks in the last quarter century.

From the moment I heard the two words "growth" and "pancreas" I imagined my life changing in ultimate ways that were not acceptable to me, but inevitable.

Deep breaths. Several.

I could live forever, I truly believe, without a kitchen sink.

I'm sure I would live on without Bern--the love of my life for 48 years and my wife for 43 years next September--but I'm not sure how or in what way or why.....

I don't need to ponder that for now.

But I do wish we had a kitchen sink.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.