Friday, May 8, 2009

castor oil tree stuff

Sitting under that tree has a great so far.

I haven't really shared why I chose this image, this metaphor for my musings. Here's why: Jonah experienced God's call...rejected it; was forced to follow...and did, reluctantly; fulfilled God's promise, though not without confusion and paradox; experienced God's grace in the tree and God's whimsy in the death of the tree and is left by God to figure it all out by himself.

I love a story that ends but isn't resolved. And that's Jonah's story--and mine, by the way...perhaps yours.

So I remain, under the dead tree, scorched by the sun, trying to figure it all out.

That's why I chose this paradigm for life--sitting under the castor oil tree, wondering....

I have to write a sermon so I'll be back when I can, to sit some more and ponder stuff....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.