Wednesday, July 14, 2010

things I notice

I often view the posts I make and lament the spelling and grammar errors I didn't catch until I clicked on publish.

But, thought I've viewed the masthead dozens and dozens of time, I never noticed my name was "fr. jim bradley" before just now.

I wonder what the 'fr.' means? Is it a shortened form of 'from'?

Of course I know it means "Father"! I'm not that addled yet. I just am non-observant and never noticed it before.

But I'm pretty sure I've never once written my name with 'Father' or even 'Fr.' before my name.

And I don't use the little cross after my name that lots of priests do. In a hand written signature it sometimes looks interesting to make a cross after your name. But I sometimes get emails from priests that are signed "Don Priest +". That, I think (and it's obviously just me talking) looks silly as hell. But what do I know

Bishops get to put the cross in front of their name. +The Rt. Rev. Mostly Holy...like that.

Bishops, in my memory, though it is a small sampling since very few bishops ever email me...but in my memory bishops invariably put a '+' in front of their email 'signature'. Most priests who email me don't put a '+' after their name.

That's something to ponder, but I don't know where it would lead you....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.