Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How I'm doing

Gosh, it has been 2 months and 5 days since I retired.

People ask me how it is going. So far so good.

Ten reasons I'm glad to be retired:

1. I'm saving money on Hall's throat lozenges since I don't talk very much.

2. I actually don't mind not talking as much.

3. I eat more sensibly.

4. I don't have to put gas in my car nearly as much.

5. I don't have to plunge out toilets nearly every day.

6. People don't ask me questions all day that they should ask Harriet.

7. I read a great, great deal.

8. Bern and I haven't killed each other, yet.

9. I have read reams of stuff I have written and want to put in some good shape and actually send it to somebody. I have a novel, a murder mystery, a fantasy, another far from completed novel, a half-dozen short stories, 50 or so poems and page after page of what I've been writing about the church and my ministry tentatively titled "Farther Along"--from the gospel hymn that goes, "Farther along we'll know all about it/ farther along we'll understand why/ cheer up my good friend/ we'll understand it all by and by." Actually the 'it' in two places much be pronounced "hit" to be authentic.

10. I've actually started writing after going over a lot of that.

Ten Reasons I've sad I've retired:

1) I miss celebrating and preaching (though July 4 I had a supply job and have all but one sunday of July and August set up for Supply.

2) I miss the excitement and constant possibility of hilarity, drama, mystery of every moment at St. John's.

3) I don't feel nearly as 'needed' or 'relied on' as I did. And I thrived on that.

4) I miss seeing and being with the remarkable staff of St. John's.

5) I miss that remarkable building and the time I spent alone, just sitting in the sanctuary.

6-10) I miss those remarkable, wondrous, life-giving people of the Parish....

All in all though, it is going well. Plus Norman, the interim, is a great guy and a good friend of mine....So I know the parish is in good hands....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.