Gosh, it has been 2 months and 5 days since I retired.
People ask me how it is going. So far so good.
Ten reasons I'm glad to be retired:
1. I'm saving money on Hall's throat lozenges since I don't talk very much.
2. I actually don't mind not talking as much.
3. I eat more sensibly.
4. I don't have to put gas in my car nearly as much.
5. I don't have to plunge out toilets nearly every day.
6. People don't ask me questions all day that they should ask Harriet.
7. I read a great, great deal.
8. Bern and I haven't killed each other, yet.
9. I have read reams of stuff I have written and want to put in some good shape and actually send it to somebody. I have a novel, a murder mystery, a fantasy, another far from completed novel, a half-dozen short stories, 50 or so poems and page after page of what I've been writing about the church and my ministry tentatively titled "Farther Along"--from the gospel hymn that goes, "Farther along we'll know all about it/ farther along we'll understand why/ cheer up my good friend/ we'll understand it all by and by." Actually the 'it' in two places much be pronounced "hit" to be authentic.
10. I've actually started writing after going over a lot of that.
Ten Reasons I've sad I've retired:
1) I miss celebrating and preaching (though July 4 I had a supply job and have all but one sunday of July and August set up for Supply.
2) I miss the excitement and constant possibility of hilarity, drama, mystery of every moment at St. John's.
3) I don't feel nearly as 'needed' or 'relied on' as I did. And I thrived on that.
4) I miss seeing and being with the remarkable staff of St. John's.
5) I miss that remarkable building and the time I spent alone, just sitting in the sanctuary.
6-10) I miss those remarkable, wondrous, life-giving people of the Parish....
All in all though, it is going well. Plus Norman, the interim, is a great guy and a good friend of mine....So I know the parish is in good hands....
- ► 2020 (335)
- ► 2019 (312)
- ► 2018 (248)
- ► 2017 (248)
- ► 2016 (291)
- ► 2015 (341)
- ► 2014 (346)
- ► 2013 (262)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (136)
- dumb crooks
- stuff I'm doing
- the fourth person of the Trinity
- for all the pain there is....
- old time's sake
- cat s***
- things I notice
- the things you learn
- the longest four days of the year
- The first day
- something to ponder
- How I'm doing
- The Devil in the details....
- failing the 'clicker' test....
- feeling my pain...
- ▼ July (15)