Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Robin update

For the longest time I've thought that Mama Robin only had one baby in her nest. But yesterday I saw a second.

They have feathers already and one of them climbed up on the top of the nest and Mama knocked him down and sat on him. Little buggers can't fly yet so she keeps them in the nest.

Yesterday, after some rain, she was out in the front yard digging for worms--those little birds eat constantly--their mouths are always open.

So I came out with the dog and startled her. She flew up in a tree and yelled at Bela and me for a long time. "Don't sneak up on me...." I think she was saying.

I don't know what I'll do when the babies fly away. Having already said good by to the three earlier, it will be double postpartum depression for me. Plus Mama, who I've spent so much time with, won't hang around in the nest any more. Alas.

After two broods--5 baby robins altogether, I can't wait to look in the nest after their all gone. Can you imagine what a mess those baby birds made there--I mean, I don't want to be too graphic--but they do stay in the nest a long time and since they're always eating I can only imagine they are always...well, pooping. Wonder if there is a market for robin poop?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.