Tuesday, October 18, 2011

occupy everywhere

OK, I'm on the verge of packing my medicines and heading to Wall Street.

Not since the late 60's have I felt so energized and affirmed. I've lived through Presidents abundant and have favored some more than others. I won't bother naming them (though, for my money, Jimmy Carter was the best of the bunch) and now, as I approach 65, something is happening that makes my heart swell and my mind race.

I'm tired of hearing Media people keep asking, "What does Occupy Wall Street want?"

They want, and I want, that everyone to look around and see how deeply in the mire 'the American Dream" has sunk.

Here's what I want:

*that 'money' not run everything but people run stuff

*that the poor be cared for and enabled to not be poor

*that the rich be taxed and taxed and feel good that being taxed mean they are doing 'good'

*that every alien that enters this country be given a clear path to becoming a citizen of this country whether they entered legally or not

*that everyone who lives within our borders have health care

*that education be based on who is able, not who can pay and that even Harvard and Yale be tuition free (those two could afford it, sitting on billions of endowments)

*that everyone in the United States start thinking of "we" not 'me'

*that Environmental Protection be seen as a glorious necessity and not a 'problem'

*that Muslim-Americans be seen as "Americans", not "Muslims" (same for any hyphenated Americans of whatever prefix)

*that Kindness would replace Authority everywhere

*that the people we elect would 'serve' us rather than be seduced and disempowered by ideology

*that all of us might acknowledge that 'being an American' is a remarkable and privileged thing to be that calls each of us and all of us to be part of the greatest Tribe ever and forget what divides us

*that marriage be seen as something two people who love each other have a right to no matter what their gender

*that all of us agree that "getting there" will mean we ALL get there or none of us do

That's all I want. I may "occupy Cheshire"...."Occupy" wherever you are and lean into a dream and vision that leaves nobody out and makes us all a part of each other....Really.....

Ponder that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.