Thursday, April 10, 2014

What I really wanted to do....

I'm sure I've written this before in some shape or size, but, it's MY blog, so I can write what I want to....

All I ever wanted to do since, I don't know, Junior High School, was to teach. I came from two families of teachers--my mother and two of her sisters and my favorite first cousin on that side and an aunt and several 1st cousins on my father's side. Teachers: that's who we were. I was an English major, for Christ's sake--what else can they do other than teach or work at McDonald's?


In my senior year of college I had already been accepted into several Ph.D. programs, including the University of Virginia, which would have been my choice, when two professors of mine nominated me for a Rockefeller "Trial year in seminary" award. I kept telling people I didn't want to go to seminary and got it. So, for reasons I'm not yet sure about, I went to Harvard Divinity School. The rest is history.

Well, not so fast sweet-lips, tomorrow my latest class at the UConn branch in Waterbury starts. Since I retired I've been teaching every other semester in the Osher Life-long Learning Institute. It's not freshman English or Hemingway's Novels, but it is in a college and there are people who want to be there (over 50) on the edge of their seats, wanting to learn.

So, after all these years, in a real sense, I'm getting to do what I really always wanted to do.

Don't tell me life isn't full of Irony...and wonder...and completion....

Thank goodness and the Good Lord....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.