Sunday, November 12, 2017

I guess I do it too...

I get so out of sorts with the folks in the White House (He Who Not Be Named chief among them) who lean on what Kelly Ann Conway called 'alternative facts' to make their points.

Facts are facts. "Alternative facts" are what we know as 'lies'.

Well, I probably need to get off my high horse! I am guilty of an 'alternative fact' all my own.

A few days ago, I wrote a blog called "Putting it on the line" in which I confessed how left wing I truly am.

In my tirade I said the Barry Goldwater suggested privatizing the Tennessee Valley Authority (fact) that delivered the electricity to where I lived (alternative fact).

My friend Mike Miano commented to say I was wrong. We got our electricity from the Appalachian Electric Power company, created from coal our neighbors dug from the ground under not so ideal conditions.

Here's the only difference between me and our President--I've been telling that 'alternative fact' (i.e. lie) for years, thinking it was true.

Once Mike, who grew up 7 or 8 miles from where I did, was a year ahead of me in high school and one of my roommates in an off campus apartment with the most lusted after address imaginable (69 Richwood Avenue) is absolutely right. I told a lie for years and convinced myself it was the truth because it suited my purposes and made a good tale....

Thanks to Mike, I'll be examining and pondering everything I say as "the truth" with a new eye toward what else have I made up to meet my needs.

That could be a soul cleansing exercise and not a tad humbling.

I'll let you know how that goes (uncovering the lies I tell as alternative truths) and why. Or you could try it on yourselves and see how it goes.

I wish Mike would talk to our President....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.