Sunday, April 3, 2022

Every once in a while

Every once in a while I need to tell new readers why this is called "Under the Castor Oil Tree".

I love the biblical book of Jonah!

I am Jonah!

Jonah was called to go to Nineveh but got on a boat going the other way.

Then he was thrown overboard during a storm God has caused because he wanted Jonah to go the other way.

And he was swallowed by a whale and spit up on the shore of Nineveh!

I am like Jonah. I had no intention of being a priest in the Episcopal Church. I wanted to get a Ph.D. in American Literature and teach students in a small liberal arts college in the Mid-Atlantic states about the great books of our nation.

But my whale was a Rockafellow  Fellowship to study Theology that two of my favorite college professors convinced me to interview for.

Two years at Harvard Divinity School for free.

After that I was a TV cameraman and a social worker until I went to Virginia Theological Seminary and got ordained.

I was carried to my "Nineveh".

And like Jonah, I sit under a castor oil tree and ponder what God has done.

I ponder and ponder--as in this blog--and come to no conclusion.

Just like Jonah. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.