Monday, June 11, 2012

Birds

I saw a remarkable thing today--there are several wild canaries that come though our yard. Dozens and dozens of birds come through our yard. I told Bern today that I should sit on the back deck all day and chart the birds that come through. She gave me one of those looks like she would give me if I suggested I should see how many tablespoons are in a pound of Pete's French Roast Coffee--the only coffee we drink.

So I say, "Well, who, after all, would be interested...besides me...."

She went back to her book.

What happened was this: one of the female canaries was sitting on a little support that holds up one of the flowers that is beside the bird bath, watching a sparrow in the bird bath. Then a male canary dropped out of a hemlock, like I've seen them do, and flew straight at the sparrow and ran it away from the bird bath, chasing it back into a tree.

Then the female canary went into the bird bath for a drink and a flutter.

Birds are so amazing. I try to force myself to be aware of all their calls though that at certain times of the day a dozen might be warbling at any moment--plus our parakeet, Maggie (actually our daughter's bird but she lives with us like a 'foster parakeet'--screams almost non-stop.

Some hummingbirds have been by lately and a family of cardinals comes to walk around the back yard every day.

Who hasn't dreamed of being a bird--of flying and singing for a living.

Not a bad life, I'd say...

I like to ponder birds....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.