Saturday, June 30, 2012

firefly sighting

There are fireflies in our back yard tonight! I'm so excited!

Lightening bugs is what we called them when I was a child. I remember being breathless and sweaty in my Uncle Russell's yard as I caught lightening bug after lightening bug and put them in a Hellman's Mayo jar with insufficient holes poked in the lid by my father's pocket knife. They almost always died and I almost always ended up with one of those dirt necklaces around my neck that kids tend to get.

They are so wondrous, magical and True.

Bugs that light up. Amazing.

I will never catch another one. I am committed to let lighting bugs live and prosper.

Seeing them in my back yard tonight made me feel 7 or 8 again. But I didn't run to catch them, I only enjoyed their light, their flitting, their very Being.

The world is a better place because of fireflies. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.