Sunday, September 20, 2015

Bad day defined

OK, I was two miles down the road to St. Andrew's in Northford when I realized I'd left my coffee at home. The line at the drive through Dunkin' Donuts in Cheshire was long and I kept going, caffeine need growing, until I stopped at one in Hamden and stood in line behind Quinipiak  (sp) students with complicated orders.

Back on the road I knew I'd get there with 15 minutes to spare. When I parked, I went in without my coffee (drat!) to meet a man in a clerical collar named Daniel.

I'd gone to the wrong church! What an idiot.

In my feeble defense, I have been jumping around all summer because supply clergy like Daniel are so hare to find and we're a presbyter short right now. But I was so sure I was supposed to be at St. Andrew's that I left my alb and prayer book there.

Realizing I was supposed to be at Emmanuel, Killingworth, I grabbed my alb and BCP and ran out. I called them before starting to drive and was actually only 12 minutes late by the time I got there and they were amused by it all. (Being a total idiot cuts you some slack!)

Problem was, I suddenly realized I had picked up Daniel's Prayer Book instead of mine, so after the Eucharist I called St. Andrew's to tell him I'd mail it to him tomorrow...reinforcing the total idiot reputation I have....

I wasn't going to write this part--but being a total idiot deserves to be totally exposed--I wore my Snoopy from Peanuts silk Valentine Boxer Shorts because they are large and roomy. When I went to the bathroom after church at Emmanuel, I realized they were so large and roomy I'd put them on backwards and not realized.

So how was your Sunday morning.....?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.