Monday, July 23, 2018

Road Trip

This weekend I'm going on a road trip with my cousin Mejol.

For years, I was the youngest of 15 first cousins on my mother's side of the family. There were my 8 Jones cousins (children of my mother's brother, Granger and his wife, Elsie), 4 Pugh cousins (children of my mother's sister, Juanette and her husband Lee Pugh), 2 Perkins cousins (children of my mother's sister Georgie and her husband Jim Perkins). And then there was me.

I was in my teens when my mother's sister, Elise (another Elsie) and her husband, Rev, Harvey Ours, adopted my cousin Denise who was 5 or so years younger than me. So, I became the second youngest of 16 first cousins.

Being an only child, my cousins were my older siblings in a real way--just I didn't have to live in the same house as them.

Mejol and Gail Pugh were baby-sitters for me. The others were role-models. Six of the 16 are dead now. But Jan/Ann are turning 80 on Saturday.

Jan and Ann Jones were twins and I couldn't tell them apart as a child so I called which ever one was around "Jan/Ann".

The last road trip Mejol and I took was to my last aunt or uncle--Elsie's, Denise's mother--funeral in Charleston. Mejol lives in Baltimore so I went there, spent the night and then we drove to Charleston and spent a night there before driving back to Baltimore.

Jan/Ann's birthday party is in Elliston, Virginia--a dozen miles east of Roanoke.

I hope all my living cousins are there. Some of them I haven't seen in decades.

Mejol lives farther north than any of them. I have lived in Connecticut for 38 years. There is a Jones family reunion every year or so, but always far away and on Saturday and I work on Sundays, so I've never made it to one.

I'm really looking forward to it--especially 4 hours down from Baltimore and 4 hours back with Mejol. She's the one cousin who's always been in my life.

It will be a trip full of nostalgia and memory.

I can hardly wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.