Monday, May 9, 2011

updating the robins

After several weeks of almost constant presence on the nest on our front porch, the Mama Robin disappeared today. I was worried about it until I remembered that she did that for more than a day last year.

What I think has happened, though I dare not try to see, is that the eggs have hatched and she is away from the nest finding worms for those babies, who if I know birds, which I do, having two parakeets in my kitchen, the buggers eat almost constantly.

Papa drove off a Cardinal, who is also nesting somewhere in our yard or in our neighbor's yard. Papa Robin drives off birds all day. He is formidable. I wouldn't want to cross him.

There is something almost painfully lovely about Mama and Papa. And if they are the same Robins as last year--which I believe is true--it makes it even more wondrous. Avian monogamy, what a trip.

I can't tell you what joy it is to share our porch and our lives with these birds. I said, "Goodnight, Mama" when I came in from walking the dog tonight. I can't tell you she returned the greeting, but I'd like to imagine it.

Last year I saw the fledglings fly away. I hope I have that honor and that privilege again this year.

"The red, red robin, goes bob, bob, bobin' along...."

How joyous I am that they are here. I realize they don't feel the same about me...but indulge me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.