Friday, April 5, 2024

This week's sermon

 

APRIL 7—My favorite Biblical People

          I have a favorite character in the Old and New Testament.

          My OT favorite is Jonah.

          You probably remember his story. God tells him to go to Ninivah  and tell the people if they don’t repent God is going to destroy them.

          Jonah gets on a boat going in the opposite direction but his presence makes the boat begin to sink. The sailors throw him overboard to save their ship and he is swallowed by a whale which throws him up on the shore of Niniviah.

          So he tells the people there about God’s wrath toward them and lo-and-behold they repent and God spares them.

          Jonah goes and sits on a hill because he is disappointed that they repented.

          God makes a Castor Oil tree to grow and shield Jonah from the sun. Then God sends a worm to kill the tree.

          Jonah is angry and asks God why he killed the tree.

          God replies, “you care about a tree more than you cared about all the people of Ninavah?”

          So, Jonah sits on the hill and ponders the ways of God. That’s how the story ends.

          The blog I write is called “Under the Castor Oil Tree” and in it I ponder many things.

          In the New Testament my favorite character is “Doubting Thomas”

          I identify with him because in my life I have had many doubts.

          Some of them have been resolved, but not all.

          I also like him for his stubbornness. My wife could tell you I can be stubborn from time to time.

          Not stubborn enough to be around a whole bunch of friends who have seen the Risen Lord and maintain that I won’t believe until I touch his wounds.

          Thomas must have annoyed them a lot—refusing to take their word for it and share in their immense joy.

When Jesus came back into the upper room, without having use

a door, and offered his wounds for Thomas to touch.

Thomas exclaimed: “My Lord and my God!”

          Then Jesus said, “Do you believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen me and yet have come to believe.”

          That’s so true. And my friends we are among those who have not seen the Risen Lord and yet have come to believe.

          Robin Williams, the comic who was an Episcopalian once said, “no matter what you believe you can find and Episcopalian who agrees with you.”

          So, Believe Beloved. Believe and you will be blessed….

Shalom and Amen.

 

         

         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.