Sunday, October 6, 2024

I don't write out my sermons any more

Which is why I don't put them on my blog any more.

I make notes as I read the lessons and preach from the notes.

I've been doing this a long time--I don't need a text to read. I know what I want to say and how and I say it.

Today's sermon was about divorce, children and Job.

Mark's Jesus was harsh about divorce so I assured the congregation that the Episcopal church allows it.

Jesus was also with children today and Trinity has a great stained glass window of Jesus with children.

I talked about children being dependent, loving, patient and kind.

(The youngest person in the congregation today--8--told me she wasn't patient at all!)

Then I talked about Job--whose tribulations made up the Old Testament lesson. I talked about how he accepted the good and the bad and did not blame God for the bad he experienced.

I told the congregation (and myself!) we must be like little children to enter the Kingdom and like Job in accepting the bad with the good.

That's what I said.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.