Saturday, March 22, 2014

Stunned, disappointed, broken-hearted

I've learned in the past few days that the congregation I served for 21 years, St. John's in Waterbury, CT, has decided, by vote of the vestry, to evict the Greater Waterbury Interfaith Ministry Soup Kitchen and Food Closet.

I have no right to judge that decision since I've been gone for almost four years.

But this I know and know fair well--the Soup Kitchen feeds over 400 people a day and the Food Closet helps hundreds a week. That I know.

And in a place like Waterbury, feeding the hungry is the Mission of God. And the Mission of God is what the church exists to be a part of .

I am stunned, disappointed and broken-hearted that St. John's has reached some point in their communal life when this action seems to be the right one.

The whole time I was Rector, part of the great joy I felt in that position was knowing how many people the Soup Kitchen and Food Closet was helping, in the name of God. That's what I know.

I am not part of St. John's--haven't been for nearly 4 years--and, I am stunned, disappointed and broken-hearted right now about the place and ministry I loved so profoundly and gladly for so long.

Again, I have no insight into what prompted the decision but that doesn't help the way I feel to know what has been decided.

Pray for the folks the Soup Kitchen/Food Pantry served. And pray for the people of St. John's in this time...whatever is going on in that community of faithful Christians....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.