Monday, February 24, 2020

One of my own

Katherine Johnson died yesterday. She was 101. She was born in White Sulphur Springs, WV, 2 hours from where I grew up but only 40 minutes from where my father grew up.

She was a black woman who taught school, raised a family and went back to school and worked for NASA. A movie has been made about her called "Hidden Figures".

She did the math and computer work for the space flights our country made.

A black woman from West Virginia who was one of the first people of color in the graduate schools of West Virginia University, where I got my B.A. in English and Political Science,

I never went to school with Black students until my senior year of high school (1965) when Gary District High sent over two very smart girls and three talented boy football players to begin the integration that would mean the merging of the two schools the next year.

Yet, I feel a connection to Katherine Johnson, A West Virginian who 'got above her 'rasin' and became famous.

A good and very long life doing much good.

Bless you, Katherine. We will miss you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.