Sunday, August 7, 2022

The Photo

About 20 years ago, my Aunt Elsie, my mother's sister, sent me a package of photos my mother had given her before either of them died.

I didn't look at them for years.

Most of them are me and my parents as I was growing up.

One of them was of me and my father and mother in our living room in an apartment with no central heat, in Anawalt, WV.

I was shocked when I saw it.

My father was in the easy chair, my mother on the right arm and me on the left, our arms around my Dad.

Both mom and I are smiling--I was 12 years old--and my dad, as was his custom, was not smiling.

But what shocked me was the picture above us in the photo.

It was of a Collie, in the snow, barking because he had found a wounded lamb.

I had the same print--on the bookshelf to the left of my computer--only bigger.

I had had it for years and didn't know why I had bought it.

Now I did.

Amazing what unremembered memories can do to the unconscious mind.

That photo is now in front of my print.

Past and present meet.

As they often do.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.