Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Sure I'm social....

I went to Waterbury Hospital today to get my bi-weekly Zolaire shots. Zolaire is an allergen inhibitor that has made my life so much better. Bad news is you have to have a sh*t load of allergens in your blood to qualify. Good news is Zolaire works!!!

I used to go straight to Outpatient Medical Therapies to sign in. The hospital now has a central sign-in for all services. It doesn't take long and they're really nice but it adds a step to an already unpleasant morning. (I actually went yesterday for my shot but forgot my Epi-pen, which I've never needed but they won't give me the shots if I don't have it! (I've been doing this for 2 or3 years and I still turn around every couple of months to come back for my Epi-pin {which way do you spell it?}. That's one negative thing about me--how I'm often lost in the material world and forget things I should never forget. No, it's not the onset of dementia, I've been like that since I was a teenager!!!

Anyway, checking in, the nice woman asked me, "what are the last four numbers of you social?"

I stared at her they way I would have if she's said something like, "do you have any kryptonite with you, Mr. Bradley?"

Well, of course I'm social but I don't give it a number....

I'm not sure, but I think I've always been asked about 'social security number', so "social" made no sense to me. The woman must have thought I was throwing an anurism or something but she finally said all three words and after I ran through it in my mind "362-87...1234", I said, "1 2 3 4" and all was well.

Maybe a tad of dementia in there, but really...'social' for 'social security number'?  We seem as a species averse to syllables.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.