Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Trying to stay sane

It is a daily effort to try to stay sane in Trump World.

One day he says the violence is on 'many sides', the next day he condemns the bad guys. the next day he says their are 'good people' on all sides.

In Arizona he goes wild and lies about what he said about Charlottesville and the next day, for the speech in Reno, he stays on message and talks about how we have to heal our divisions.

I have a friend who is narcissistic. Everything is about him. He can and is charming most of the time, until you confront him about his inconsistencies. Then he backtracks and changes the story and makes himself blameless and the inconsistencies are someone-else's fault. And, because I love him, I am sure he doesn't even know what he's doing with 'the truth'. He really believes that he isn't to blame for contradicting himself and that he is 'right' all the time.

I love my friend and understand his mental illness and make allowances for it and he is loving and charming when he needs to be and it works and I can live with it. I really can.

But my friend isn't the President and the leader of the free world.

The time has come, the Walrus said, 
to talk of many things.
Of shoes and ships and sealing wax,
of cabbages and Kings.
And why the sea is boiling hot,
and whether pigs have wings.

I wake up into the story of the Walrus and the Carpenter every morning.

And it is time to 'talk of many things'.

Primary of which, is Donald J. Trump psychologically fit to sit where he sits in the Oval Office.

In his speech today (which was a reasonable, thought out speech that someone else wrote and he read off a teleprompter) he said that 'sitting behind the desk at the oval office' meant 'being president of the United States. I think that was ad-lib. No one I know needs to have someone define what 'sitting behind the desk in the oval office' means.

I've hated presidents before. Not really. I've disliked the policies of (mostly Republican presidents) but I've never 'hated them' personally. Reagan, Bush one and Bush two, were in their own ways rather likable. I HATE Trump and, more importantly FEAR him.

The sea is boiling hot and pigs have wings.

Something has to happen to rid us of this mad prince....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.