Sunday, September 3, 2023

Hanna's Funeral

 I've never seen anything like it.

I did the beginning of the burial office in 20 minutes--including my sermon. The next thing on the program was 'remembrances'. The service started at 2 and the 'remembrances' went until 4!

Dozens of people wanted to tell what they had experienced with Hanna.

I know two things--I've never seen anything like that at a funeral and that it would have embarrassed the hell out of Hanna to have people praising her for over an hour and a half.

The priest at St. Paul's/St. James did away with the celebration of communion. We put Hanna's ashes in the columbarium and sang two verses of a song and we were done by 4:15.

Bern and I skipped the reception to get home to our hungry and needing to pee dog, Brigit. She was usually fed at 2 but yesterday it was almost 5. She swallowed it whole!

Good-bye, Hanna. I will miss you so, so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.