Sunday, July 14, 2013

my huge, absolutely fabulous, wonderous day....

So, last night, it pains me to tell you, I spilled about a half glass of white wine (Pinot Grigio) on my computer keyboard. Let it be said, it was the first glass of the night and the glass was cold and slick and all that....Really....

But then when I tried to pull up the text of the sermon for today, suddenly 80 different documents showed up on my screen. When I finally got them all back in the document library, I tried to google my blog to write about how weird that was, I typed "blogspot" and it came out 'Ux23sok" on the google line.

The advice I've always gotten about how to fix glitches in a computer is to unplug it and plug it in again. So I did. And then turned it back on and got to my password and typed in the 9 characters of my password and what showed up in the password space was '***********************', more than twice the number of things I typed.

So I called my friend John, who does my computer stuff for me and didn't hear back and decided that  my keyboard must be fried. Still not hearing from John today, I took my keyboard to Staples and asked if they could tell me if it were fried or not. But they couldn't tell me because I hadn't brought some thing-a-majig I didn't even know existed that was plugged into my computer somewhere I didn't realize was there that made the wireless keyboard work. So I mentioned the thing about trying to bring up a document and was told (much to my surprise) that a keyboard and a mouse live in the same universe and if one is fried, they both are.

So I bought a keyboard and mouse and thing-a-majig made by Microsoft (since there is no billionaire I'd rather give my money to than Bill Gates who does so much good through his Bill and Melinda Gates foundation.

Then I got home and almost broke down in tears because I had no idea how to do anything at all about a computer beyond turning it on, clicking and typing.

But I put the AAA batteries in the keyboard and the AA batteries in the mouse (though I put the ones in the keyboard in wrong which I realized when the dam thing wouldn't work)--the fact that Microsoft has batteries included makes me love Bill and Melinda even more....

Then I traced the old mouse back through the tangle of wires John has on my computer and found the little plug in hickey (I still don't know it's name) and unplugged that one and plugged in the new one and lo and behold, here I am typing again (after the keyboard battery thing, of course)!

It is a fabulous experience for me to actually fix something about my computer without John's help! I love John like a brother and appreciate all he does for me but sometimes I feel like I'm always standing in front of him with a pitiful look on my face, holding up my empty bowl and saying, 'more gruel please....

I did it myself! Holy Cow, I MIGHT HAVE SOME MODICUM OF COMPETENCE AFTER ALL....

Or maybe not. Maybe it was just dumb luck.

But it feels real good (as modest as it may seem) to me....Fabulous in fact....

That calls for a glass of white wine....just not near the keyboard this time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.