Friday, July 5, 2013

Heat

It's been hot in Connecticut the last few days. Nothing like the heat in the southwest, for sure, and no brush fires that I know of. I sometimes wonder why anyone would live anywhere other than New England--land of four seasons without tornadoes for the most part, no brush fires, no 120 degree temperatures, rare but troubling hurricanes, no avalanches or volcanoes. Hey it snows, but it is, after all New England and we are a hardy bunch up here in the Blue States.

Now that I think of it, I don't want people from the Southwest and South moving up here and messing up our Blue State. I just want them to stay put and wait for the liberals moving from the Northeast and the birthrate of minorities to turn the Red states Blue.

On the other hand, I miss the Republican Party of my father and his brothers. They were a pragmatic and level-headed bunch. Where are they now, I wonder....

So, my theory about growing older, if I haven't told you this before, is this: "we just get MORE the way we already are...."

It's been true for me, I know. I get clumsier daily and calmer (I've always been calm, it just deepens as I age) and more liberal about almost everything. And the longer I live I love animals and birds more and more.

So that's my theory and I'm sticking to it--the older you get, the MORE you get the way you always were.

But 'heat' is the exception that proves the rule.

People used to ask me, "hot enough for you?"

And I'd reply, "Hell NO, not hot enough by half and how about a little more humidity....?"

And in the past, I hated, dreaded, was almost inconsolable about the cold. I'd roll into a fetal position and weep and wail if I had to go out in the cold. (I always credited that to growing up in a home without central heat and always being cold.)

But here's the thing. I really don't like the heat I used to love. And cold doesn't bother me much at all.

So, it's not a flaw in my theory about getting older. But there's no danger of me moving to Florida or Arizona. I can bear the heat (getting even more calm than I've always been, and patient to--lots more as I age) but I'm really thinking that if I have to choose being in a place that is always hot or always cold, I would choose the latter.

But I live in Connecticut, so I get some of both. Which is better than Arizona or Florida.

{I've always been introspective even though my role made me extroverted to the extreme. Maybe that's why I write this blog...I get more introspective as I grow older....Pondering is my constant companion....and I like that. I just don't like the heat as much as I used to.....}

Stay cool, Beloved. It is July, after all.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.