Friday, October 4, 2013

Gravity works

Bern and I saw "Gravity" this afternoon. I don't have much to say except I don't remember when I've been so tense for almost two hours (that seemed like 30 minutes) since "2001--A Space Odyssey".

Something about being in space that weirds me out--confinement, distance, no up or down--like that.

There are only three characters in the whole movie and one of them dies early on. So, looking at George Clooney and Sandra Bullock in space suits for most of the movie and Sandra Bullock in short-shorts and a tank top for a good part of the movie would make it worth seeing.

But, in my mind, it is one of the most remarkable films I've ever seen--the views of the earth from outside the realm of gravity would make it worth the viewing, but the music...the score...is beyond wonderful. Astonishing in fact.

Walk, don't run to see it. Remember 'gravity' holds us to the earth. The last scene, the first one with 'gravity' is astonishing.

Don't take my word for it, go see it, and prepare to be floating against your will most of the time.

Many technical Oscar nominations are in store. And if Sandra (who I've loved and been in love with for years) isn't nominated, there is no Movie God to believe in....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.