Friday, March 4, 2016

David Brooks is sitting Shiva

I always look forward to Friday because David Brooks (NY Times) and E.J. Dionne (Washington Post/Brookings Institute) are on "All Things Considered" to discuss the political landscape.

Brooks is a Conservative Republican I deeply respect and agree with more often than I'd ever tell my Leftist friends! He IS Conservative, no doubt about it. But he is a Conservative in the linage of President Eisenhower, Nelson Rockefeller and Everett Dirksen--men I all admired.

Brooks can hardly hold back tears that his Republican Party has gone so far off the rails in this Presidential Election cycle. Brooks is a Conservative of the Jeb Bush and John Kasich ilk. Which means that David is a man without a Party right now.

Today he even said that he fears a irreparable split in the Republican Party between free market/socially moderates and whoever it is Donald Trump is speaking for. He said that political parties 'realign'  every half a century or so, and this might be the Republican's time.

He's devastated by all this, it's obvious in his voice and choice of words.

He's already sitting Shiva for the Party he loves so.

I like David Brooks so much, I must feel pain for him in my heart, though me mind is jumping for joy that the Republican Party may be self-destructing....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.