Wednesday, March 30, 2016

What a scam!

Yesterday I got 4 robocalls in 20 minutes--all the same: it went like this....

We've been trying to get in touch with you, a somber female voice said, This is the Internal Revenue Service and we are calling to let you know the IRS is filing a law suit against you. You must call the following number (she gives a number with a 305 area code) to hear about this law suit. Then she repeats the number and tells me 'to call immediately'.

Well, I didn't believe it for a moment--since the IRS obviously knows how to get in touch with me! And 4 calls in a quarter of an hour or so just seemed bogus.

I had to call Jane, who prepares our taxes, about a question she had so I told her about the calls.

It seems they start around this time of year and many people call the number and are offered 'a settlement' for their law suit.

What a scam!

And people who aren't as cynical as me might fall for it.

Jane told me the IRS will never call--they use the postal service. Government agencies working together....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.