Sunday, February 11, 2018

I just don't get Facebook

I just spent half-an-hour of time I could have been reading or playing Hearts on line looking at my Facebook page.

I haven't looked at it for a couple of months though I do click on anything my son puts there.

I just don't get it. People send things that I've either read about or seen on TV. They post pictures I don't know how to react to. The forward stuff I just don't get. I saw a picture of a friend I have at the gym. I don't need to know that. I saw pictures of the National Cathedral in DC--I've been there, I know what it looks like. Videos of dogs running through snow. Fun, but I don't care.

I guess that is what I feel about Facebook--I don't care!

I was on once before, years ago, when some people at St. John's thought I should be. I went on to look at it every few months or so and my reaction then was the same as now--I don't get it.

A picture of a friend at a U.Conn Women's BB game. So?

A picture of someone's car?

A video of  the President I've seen already?

Someone at a dinner?

A picture of someone's food?

This is to bring me closer to them?

I don't think so.

A call or having lunch would bring me closer to them--not Facebook.

The last time I got off took an hour or so. Zukerberg doesn't want you off.

The only reason I got on was because there was a video of one my sermons, which, by the way, I couldn't open.

Now, I'm thinking about getting off again, even though it will take about 200 clicks to do so.

I just don't understand. Maybe I'm too old or too grumpy.

It seems vain to me--though why I got back on was vanity of wanting to see my sermon. I rest my case.

Give me a call. Let's have lunch. Just quit cluttering up my email with notifications that you posted a new picture or updated your status (whatever the hell that means!)

Shalom and leave me alone, Facebook.

Thanks. Though I know you won't, Facebook.

Go get a face and read a book. Okay?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.