Friday, April 12, 2019

heritic

I was a Deputy to General Convention three times--Columbus, Anaheim and Minneapolis. I would have to google it to tell you in what order. It was I think: 2003, 2006 and 2009.

I was in the hallway at Minneapolis when I saw one of my bishops, Jim Curry, coming out of the display room--where you could buy anything you'd probably never want about the Episcopal Church.

Jim saw me and came running over. "I've got you something--just for you!" He handed me a small red button you can attach with a wire to your coat.

On it was one word: HERETIC.

I still have it and wear it from time to time. Bless Bishop Curry!

I probably am a heretic since I either don't believe or could care less about a lot of Christian Doctrine and Dogma.

I'm just not interested in 'believing'. I'm interesting in having "faith"--pistos in Greek--which could just as easily be translated as "trust".

I 'trust' in the Almighty Power. I don't 'believe' much of anything.

So people figure that out and give me stuff to read.

I guess they're trying to 'save' me. I'm not sure.

The latest is a book called Proof  of Heaven by Eben Alexander, a neurosurgeon who was in a coma and journeyed into the 'afterlife'.

I'll dutifully read it and thank the woman who loaned it to me.

But if someone jumped out from behind a tree on a dark street and yelled, "do you believe in heaven?" I'd answer, "I don't know."

I know the Almighty Power I trust in would never have a hell. That Power is Love, pure and simple and punishing people for eternity would never occur to him/her/it.

So: "heaven"?

Who knows? Not me.

But I trust and will go into that good night with faith.

Enough for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.