Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The problem is General Electric

General Electric, part of all our lives for generations, apparently figured out how not to pay any corporate tax last year. The second largest international corporation in the world, after JP Morgan/Chase, paid less than you did in taxes.

Ponder that.

And the Republican/Tea Party folks are balancing the budget on the backs of the poor and lower middle class through cuts in medicare and Medicaid while GE paid no taxes.

Let me tell you up front: I have no dog in this fight. My SS won't be affected, my pension is great and I'm making money from part time priest stuff. Our credit rating is 895 or so and we haven't been late on a payment for a couple of decades. (Our credit rating is SO good that someone called Bern because she had lost--better and more accurately, I had misplaced--a bill. But instead of charging us a late fee, the company called, knowing the aging white man had screwed up and took the payment by credit card over the phone to save us any problems.

So, I'm going to live out my life not being troubled by the current madness about cutting the budget and paying down the deficit--WHICH I MUST REMIND YOU HAPPENED WHILE W BUSH WAS PRESIDENT...HE WAS GIVEN A BALANCED BUDGET AND NO DEFICIT BY THAT WILD TAX AND SPEND PRESIDENT CLINTON....

But cutting anything from social programs and mediciade while GE paid no taxes is insane.

I made more money in 2010 than ever in my life. My total income was several thousand dollars past 6 figures. I paid--ss and taxes combined, less than $9000. I'm getting money back from the Federal Government and only owe CT $700. I'm not complaining, but the truth is, people who make 10 times what I earned probably aren't paying much more than me.

I declare myself a 'tax the rich and support the poor" Democrat.

And I want GE to pay millions in taxes.

I will willingly pay twice as much in taxes as I do if GE will ante up and the rich will give up their G.W. Bush tax breaks.

The problem in the economy is that the rich and the corporations aren't paying anywhere near 'their fair share". No where near.

Republicans and Tea Party idiots need to ante up. Close the loopholes for corporations. Tax US based corporations for their overseas operations aggressively enough to make them bring those jobs back home. Tax imports enough to make American products desirable. Tax the rich and guard the poor as Jesus would...the poor are always with us and our responsibility.

Tax GE's profits, wherever they were made.

Good God, why is this so hard?

I'll pay more. Let's all pay more so long as GE and millionaires pay their fair share.

It doesn't seem that difficult to me.

All for one and one for all....

Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.