Tuesday, January 23, 2018

In Momento Mori

Ursula Le Guin died today. She was my favorite writer, along with Kurt Vonnegut. Her 'Earthsea' trilogy are 3 of my favorite 10 books of all time and she probably has another two or three on that short list. "Left Hand of Darkness" for one.

And I usually don't much like science fiction, though I am a sucker for fantasy (Tolkien, the "Thrones" books, stuff like that). She did both.

Her novel about a planet where there is no 'gender'--or where 'gender' is fluid through your life-time--able to be father and mother both--really revolutionized the way I look at gender. Astonishing.

She hasn't written for a good time, she was 88 after all.

I'll go to the library soon and get some of her books. I need to pay homage to her in some way.

Rest in peace, sweet writer, love of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.