Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Sleeping patterns

Bern is an 'early to bed, early to rise' person. It's just past 9:30 and she's in bed. She'll read awhile but then sleep.

I seldom go to bed before midnight, sometimes at 11;30. And normally I sleep--unless I get up for a Sunday service or a meeting--to 9 or so.

Bern approves. She likes an hour or two to drink a pot of coffee and get ready for her day.

I'm an irrepressible 'morning person', because I sleep late. That would drive her crazy at 7 a.m. So I sleep in.


I wake up many mornings at 5 or so, but go back to sleep. Even if I wake up at 6 or so to go pee, I go back to sleep.

But the last few weeks when I wake up like that, I can sometimes not go back to sleep.

I have no problem 'dozing' for an hour or two, but I haven't, recently, gone back to deep sleep.

Just an hour or so ago I realized why.

For 13 years, if I got up to go to the bathroom or just woke up, I'd rub Bela, our Puli dog, until I slept again. He was between us in our huge bed and easy to reach.

Now he's not there to rub, so I need to find something else to help me sleep some more.

(I promise that soon I'll stop writing about him--maybe after we scatter his ashes on the canal down the hill from us on Cornwall Avenue where we walked him all those years. But for now, I can't stop. Ponder anything that was in your life and you loved for 13 + years and tell me you moved on immediately....Ponder that.)

Tonight, for the first time, I took the plastic bag with his ashes out of the container they are in, sitting beside my desk. I hadn't been able to look at them before. I held them in my hands and mourned. Two pounds of ashes of a 60 pound dog.

I'm waiting for Bern to tell me when we can scatter then. She said, 'after Easter', but I'm not sure when that will be.

As much as I mourn for him, she mourns more. I know that.

I'll wait for her to say 'when', though I think it would be cathartic to scatter them. I do.

But I'll wait for her.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.