Monday, January 2, 2023

I grew up in "Pat's Room"

 Pat LaFon was a second or third cousin of mine, Dad's family was never good on getting relations right. I grew up calling people "Aunt" or "Uncle" who never were.

Pat lived with my parents in their Anawalt, WV apartment for several years before I was born. I don't remember why.

It was a 2 bedroom apartment with no central heat.

When I was born and came home, I slept first in a baby bed and then a single bed in my parents' room until Pat left when I was 5 or so.

I asked to have a room of my own, and they agreed.

But they alway's called it "Pat's room".

I grew up in "Pat's room" until I went to college.

While in college my parents moved into a house with central heat in Princeton, WV.

They knew I hated living in "Pat's room", but how they always referred to it.

In the new house, when I'd come home, there was a bed room for me.

But at least it didn't belong to Pat as well.

Growing up in "Pat's room" made me think I was a late interruption of their relationship.

My mom was 37 and dad was 40 when I was born.

So, maybe I was.

But I have no hard feelings about that.

And I thank them for giving me life.

And I pray for their souls--and Pat's.....

Always.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.