Wednesday, January 15, 2014

4 days, little sleep

So, my friend Fred, who is going with me to JFK on Friday so I can catch my flight and drive my car back to Cheshire and then come get me on Monday after I ride what people call "the red eye" back from San Francisco told me I should pick him up around 6 a.m.

He's right, I know, since my flight is at 10:30 am and we need to fight the rush hour in NYC. But I don't recall the last time I was up that early. I'm retired, you know, and sometimes sleep until 10:30 am or so, because I can.

I actually overslept on Saturday and missed the Cluster Council Officers meeting. I forgot to set my alarm. My alarm is only set on Tuesdays and Sundays so I can make it to my Clericus meeting and to whichever of the three Cluster Churches I'm scheduled to serve. Otherwise, if my alarm isn't set, I wake up when I do and take the dog out (he likes to sleep in as well) and make breakfast and read whatever book I'm reading and sometimes go to the gym (not much lately) and then do whatever I want to do.

That's retirement--and I'm so good at it I should have done it years ago!

But I forgot to set my alarm on Friday night and when I woke up when I woke up, the breakfast meeting wasn't in my head. I started my breakfast--ham and home fries that eventually I planned to break an egg over--and took the dog out.

When I came back, my cell phone had a message from Jean Anderson, the chair of the Cluster Council, wondering where I was since I'm almost always the first person at a meeting.

I almost killed myself driving through the rain to get to Durham after Jean and Nancy and Ann had finished breakfast and done all that needed to be done to make sure the Cluster Council meeting the next Tuesday would happen without incident.

What an idiot I am.

 But then, I am 'retired' and not expected to be more than forgetful and a tad vague and always a little sleepy.

So, I'm leaving to San Francisco on Friday at 6 and I'm coming back on the red eye which means I won't sleep much on Thursday/Friday and not at all on Sunday/Monday.

So, don't expect a lot of me next week. I'll be napping.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.