Saturday, January 4, 2014

naming storms

Since someone names storms, I think there could be some creativity in that. Like this: storms named after characters from Shakespeare's plays.

Ariel, Banquo, Caliban, Desdemona, Edward IV, Falstaff, Goneril, Hamlet, Iago, Juliet, King Henry, Lear, Macbeth, Norfolk, Othello, Prospero, Queen Cleopatra, Romeo, Shylock, Touchstone, Ursula, Viola, Witches (from Macbeth)....

I'll admit, English major that I am, it took me 45 minutes or so to come up with A-W. Then I blanked. I couldn't think of a Shakespearean character that started with X. I finally googled 'Alphabetical Lists of Shakespearean characters' and had about 200K hits!

So, I had wasted 45 minutes making my list only to find I could have done it in no time!

And there is this: there are no X's or Z's on any of the lists.

I had Yorick for Y (though he's only mentioned by Hamlet and doesn't actually appear in a play) but my blank on X and Z was well founded.

This is about the most use I've found for my BA in English Literature for several decades.

Hopefully, there would be less than 24 storms that needed names and if there was a 24th, it could be Yorick ('alas poor....')

Stay tuned. I might try to come up with a storm list of Biblical characters: I've got Adam, Bathsheba, Cain, David, Elisha already. F I'll have to think about for a bit. Then Goliath, Herod, Isaiah, Jesus (for goodness sake!) K is a momentary problem, Leah, Moses, Noah, Obidiah, Pilate (or Peter if you like), Quinireus, Rachel, Solomon, Titus, Uriah, Virgin Mary, Widow of Nain, X, problematic, Yahweh and Zachariah,

Can you think of a name beginning with F or K or X in the Bible? I'm at a loss.

Lucky to know that BA and my Theological studies are not wasted. I can come up with names for storms out of all that study and cost. Those years are not wasted--thank God!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.