Sunday, January 26, 2014

Just when I thought I was over it...

I've been reading online stuff--Rand Paul dragging up Monica Lewenski one more time, Nadal losing but being 'stand up' by playing hurt, Usher going to Panama (Panama!!) to have an intervention of sorts for my man, Justin Bieber, an adorable video of an owl trying to make friends with a shaggy dog, Mitch McConnell saying something intolerably stupid, more super-cold weather for the Midwest, a story about a galaxy that is on course to collide with ours (4 billion years from now so I'm not really worried), Rush Limbaugh saying horribly sexist and nasty things about Wendy Davis (the woman running for Governor in Texas), Ellen Degeneris' best dance moves in 60 seconds (she turns 56 this week--sounds young to me these days....), stuff about security at the Winter Olympics (about 60 Russian Security guys for each athlete who will be there) and then, a story about the Governor of West Virginia.

The governor of West Virginia's name is, by the way, Earl Ray Tomblin. People in West Virginia almost invariably have two names--Bobby Joe, Lou Ann, Alice Mae, Howard Ray (all people I knew)--I was even called 'Jimmy Gordon' by lots of people for more years than I care to remember. I can guarantee you, being an expert on West Virginia accents, that the governor's name to 90% of the people in the state is "rlrA" with the accent on the last syllable as most sentences in the mountain state have. Every declarative sentence in West Virginia sounds like a question.

Rl-rA has decided to make the company that poisoned the water in 14 counties, take down the storage tanks that contained the poison.

This is, in my mind, a great leap forward--a Governor of West Virginia actually acknowledging and doing something about the vast amount of poison companies in the state have setting close to rivers, streams and wetlands. In my mind, the state government from top to bottom has been complicit in the poisoning of the water, the air, the very 'being' of the state.

So, thank god for Rl-rA for saying the stuff that poisoned the water for 300,000 people shouldn't be there at all.

There's lots of other poison in the coal mines and strip mines and chemical companies that, in essence, run the state and always have.

I'll be waiting for Gov. Tomblin to start doing something about all that.

I am, by the way, not holding my breath....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.